Rage, rage against the dying of the file

(I thought I’d better quote classy poetry in my title rather than put the very unclassy string of words I wanted to say)

So today, I happend to be given a windfall of two hours to write in the middle of the day. It was great. I made real progress. And then, out of the blue, my computer just ate the almost 2000 WORDS I had just written. Gone. Lost. Destroyed. Don’t ask me how it happened, cause I sure don’t know. This little screen popped up and it was all over. And this is NOT the first time this has happened. I am so mad right now I’m seriously considering putting a hammer to the thing.

*tries to take a deep breath*

Sorry, I just had to vent. You know, it’s time’s like these when I think it’s a good idea to go back to the old quill and parchment days.

1. Diana on November 6, 2008 at 12:17 am

That totally stinks Ren. Sorry. I always have had a love/hate relationship with computers. I am pretty sure, though, that the info can be retrieved. I will ask Gary. In the meantime, I have learned that viciously chopping raw chicken soothes my nerves:)

2. Natalie on November 6, 2008 at 1:57 am

Oh no! That’s awful. You need a mac. We should start some kind of fund/petition.

3. Renee Collins on November 6, 2008 at 3:34 am

Diana, actually, it can’t be retrieved. It’s a long, complicated, irritating story, but we have to reboot Word everytime we use it, so the file is lost forever. >:(

Also, chopping raw chicken soothes you? I imagine that feels a lot like stabbing human flesh . . . I’m concerned, Diana.

4. Renee Collins on November 6, 2008 at 3:36 am

And Natalie, that’s a good idea. I am going to start a grass roots campaign to get myself a new Macbook.

5. Diana on November 6, 2008 at 5:12 am

🙂 LOL

Renee, ok I admit, I have some minor violence issues. I also like to punch Gary as hard as I can in the shoulder and regularly threaten to crush Karl’s little brains….but maybe thats TMI.

AS for your fund, its a great idea. Kinda like our fund for the children’s hospital;)

6. Renee Collins on November 6, 2008 at 5:51 am

The children’s hospital fund. Oh, the shame.

Of course, I blame Tesa. It was all her idea, anyway. (Right?)

7. JaneyV on November 6, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Oh Sweetie that is just the pits. I send you a big hug and oodles of sympathy. Not nice!

I have a MAC. I’ve never had a smidge of trouble with it. There are no PG words to describe what I think of Microsoft products. I deffo support your campaign for a Macbook.

8. Kiersten on November 6, 2008 at 3:20 pm

I hate your computer.

9. Renee Collins on November 6, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Ah, Janey, yet one more person to sing the praises of Macs. Seriously, I am this close to snapping and just buying one.

And Kiersten, I hate him too. *weeps softly*

It’s a twisted, abusive relationship that my computer and I have. He keeps hurting me, but I keep coming back, thinking “he really won’t do it again.”

You see why I hit on Laptop?

10. Terri Tiffany on November 6, 2008 at 7:52 pm

I’m so sorry that happened!!! I’d kick something too:)) Hoping for better writing ahead!

11. Kasie West on November 6, 2008 at 7:58 pm

OH NO!! That is my worst nightmare. You just reminded me that I need back up my files. My stomach hurts now.

I agree with Natalie, you need a mac. I have a macbook, it is my very best friend, (I typed that last line with a cheesy grin on my face and stared lovingly at my computer, I’m not kidding, I really did. And they were genuine feelings. I need help) I have typed on it so much that the “E” on the keyboard is fading. Really, my “E” is fading. Now that’s a lot of typing.

12. Joanne on November 6, 2008 at 9:37 pm

When I’m on a real roll, I hit Save constantly. I’ve gotten those funky screens too and learned the hard way. Now I Save as I go without thinking. Sorry for your loss 🙁

13. Renee Collins on November 7, 2008 at 3:40 am

Thanks everyone. 🙂

Kasie-LOL, now I really am going to just go buy a Mac. I’ve NEVER heard anything but adoration from those that own them.

Joanne-I usually hit Save everytime I pause from typing. And, I am a thoughtful, rather slow writer, so I will pause often. Clicking save is like a reflex.

Problem is, this little screen actually came up as I was hitting Save. Like, somehow, hitting Save had triggered it. So, I really don’t know how to combat it.

14. Kasie West on November 7, 2008 at 7:10 am

I heard we have more than writing (and eventually macs) in common. 🙂

15. Renee Collins on November 7, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Ah, I had a hunch. 🙂

Welcome to the club!!!

16. Terri Tiffany on November 8, 2008 at 4:15 pm

are you over your rage yet??:)

17. Jessica on November 8, 2008 at 5:25 pm

That’s HORRIBLE!!! Like my worst nightmare.
    It’s happened before to me and now I’m a chronic saver. If, like Diana says, the info can be retrieved, that would be awesome.
    Good luck. 🙂

18. Renee Collins on November 8, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Yes, Terri, I think so. I need the computer too much to carry out my plan of destruction. I am, however treating it with the highest of suspicion.

And thanks, Jessica. 🙂 It was pretty traumatic. I think I know now how to prevent it from happening again.