The Luck O’ the Irish (which, I don’t have)

I’ve learned a little something about myself. I don’t win contests. A minuscule complaint in the face of recession, world hunger, and war? Perhaps. But it still makes me glum from time to time. I’m just not a winner. (Cue sad piano music)

Don’t be fooled by my last name. I don’t have a drop of Irish blood in my veins. And maybe that’s what’s missing! No luck of the Irish for me. (Janey, you lucky woman, you. :))

At any rate, on this St. Patrick’s Day, I’ll be getting buzzed on Dr. Pepper. And plenty of it. But, believe me when I say, that I drink this one for you!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!

1. candicekennington on March 17, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Today’s St. Patricks Day??!! I totally forgot! Let the drinking begin! I can see you’re prepared. I’ll crack open my diet Pepsi in celebration and we can email each other at midnight when we’re both still up and high on mass quantities of caffeine.

P.S. Hope you’re feeling better.

2. sraasch on March 17, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Happy Patty’s Day!

(Don’t worry; I’m thoroughly lacking of the Irish luck too. It happens.)

3. Lady Glamis on March 17, 2009 at 9:05 pm

My hubby is addicted to DP. It really is THE drink, isn’t it? I love it, too!

Here’s wishing you find some luck. πŸ™‚

4. JaneyV on March 17, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I have still never tasted Dr Pepper. It seems to me the luck O’ the Irish thing is vastly over-egged.

I happen to think that luck is based on what you believe. If you honestly and truly believe you’ll never win anything then that’s what’s going to happen.

Try this, every morning when you wake up say 5 times “I am a winner” – really really believe it – then give thanks for being such an amazing winner. And if you don’t win something within a month I’ll eat my hat. (I keep a chocolate one handy for such occasions). Every morning. Really give it welly. Then prepare to be amazed! It really works.

And we have something in common; I too have a surname without the ancestry to go with it. Not a drop of German blood – I’m 100% Irish.

Go neirΓ­ an bΓ³thar leat!

(It means good luck)

5. Becca on March 18, 2009 at 12:54 am

Ren…I think I know what this post is referring to … which sucks…now, let me tell you a story. A few months ago I entered a contest in the freakin AAA little bi-monthly travel magazine/junk mail. You were supposed to write about a travel encounter that changed your life…and the top 3 would be published and you would win $5000 towards a trip. So I wrote about the Scottish couple I met on the train in Scotland, who essentially were the trigger in my deciding to teach (you know the story.) So anyway…I thought my little essay was a shoe-in. Cause–> A.)How many people would really apply for the lame-o AAA magazine essay contest?…and B.)It was a damn good essay! Well – I think you know where I’m going with this. I didn’t win. So perhaps, its the “luck of the Underwoods'”…ya know what I’m sayin! πŸ™‚

I want to sing you “Cheer up Charlie” right now – from the ghetto creepy 70’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory…but since I can’t, just hum it in your head πŸ™‚ j/k Ren…kinda. Not having luck is very suckish(in the words of a jr high child)…I’m sorry. But luck will only get some people so far – talent and hard work can overcome luck…think of our chat with Parge πŸ™‚ and stay strong!

Cheers!

6. Miriam S.Forster on March 18, 2009 at 1:07 am

Happy St Paddy’s Day! And I feel for you, I don’t win contests either, a fact which I accept with typical English-German stoicism. πŸ™‚

(Also, for St Pats I will be drinking chicken noodles soup.)

7. Joanne on March 18, 2009 at 2:19 am

Raising my coffee cup in a St. Patrick’s Day toast to you!

8. jessie on March 18, 2009 at 3:21 am

I used to think I never won contests, and then I won Jenni’s antique giveaway. But then again, I’m part Irish:) Am I rubbing your nose in my Irish blood? Ewe, gross. I’ll stop. Anyway, I’m all about the Dr. Pepper for that extra energy boost. And I like your table.

9. Renee Collins on March 18, 2009 at 4:42 am

Candice-I forgot too! But, my daughter’s favorite TV show had a Leprecaun special. (which was awesome, btw)

Sara-Thanks πŸ™‚

Glam-It IS! I know more people hooked on DP than any other carbonated beverage.

Janey-You always leave such thoughtful comments! I love it. πŸ™‚ Yes, you make a very good point. I actually am an optimistic person, (though it may not sound like it sometimes)and I am a big believer in the power of positive thinking.

P.S. Loved the cool Irish phrase!

P.P.S. I can’t believe you STILL haven’t tried Dr. Pepper! Janey, Janey, Janey, it will change your life!!!

Becca-You comment made me laugh. πŸ™‚ I’m sorry you didn’t win the AAA contest. That sucks. Maybe there is something to this Underwood luck. Jared does prove to be a frustrating inconsistency. But, anyway I really am fine about that contest. Not surprised. Just mildly deflated. Cest la vie.

Miriam-Heh, I don’t have any German in me either. No wonder I’m feeling bummed!

Joanne-Cheers!!!

Jessie-So YOUR the one who won Jenni’s contest, eh?

kidding πŸ™‚ Actually, that’s cool! And don’t worry about that Irish blood. The smell reminds me of my hubby, who is a quarter Irish πŸ™‚

Also, I like my table too. (Except when my son falls off of it. It’s a little high.)

10. Kasie West on March 18, 2009 at 7:08 am

I’m diggin’ your hair, Renee. Is it a new color? Or just a different camera? Anyway, I’m not lucky either. Oh well. Hard work is in our futures I guess. Sigh.

11. Terri Tiffany on March 18, 2009 at 8:54 pm

A little late I am but I hope your day ushered in a little luck!

12. Diana on March 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I think I know what this means……grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    FOOLS, ALL OF THEM!!!!

13. giddymomof6 on March 19, 2009 at 10:43 am

LOL! I rarely ever win either.. but it never stops me from entering! LOL! enjoy! I hope your St Patty’s day was great! ANd have super fun with your sister!