Hijacked!

My brain has been hijacked. By a new book idea.

It’s bizarre. I’ve actually never felt anything like it. I literally cannot focus on my edits. I want to focus. I need to focus. I know exactly what I need to do, but I just can’t write a single word. Instead, I find myself researching my new book idea. It’s crazy. This is the pushiest book idea I’ve ever had, by a mile.

And I know, I know, it’s Shiny-New-Ideaitis. I’ve dealt with it before (though admittedly never with one quite so shiny.)I have no intention of letting this derail my progress. . . er . . any more than it has. I plan on showing that new idea who is boss( . . . tomorrow.)

*sigh* Ever been here? What do you do? Start the new book whilst editing? Or are you a strictly one book at a time kinda writer, meaning I shouldn’t even start with this new one until I am querying my WiP?

12 Responses to Hijacked!

1. MeganRebekah says:

I’ve got two books going on right now, the main one and a side MG project. For me it’s actually nice because when I get sick of the main WIP I can switch over to the other one. I’m still writing, which is important, and I get the time away from the WIP I need.

2. Natalie says:

Well, you know how my brain works—basically there are multiple ideas in there trying to get my attention.

What I do when I have to *work* and not just have fun with ideas: I schedule things, and award myself with the new book if I finish my goals.

For example, right now I have to do ninja edits, but I also have Fiona wanting to play.

Goal: Minimum 50pages of ninja edits a day. If I have energy after that, then I’m allowed to write other things.

Stuff like that helps me stay focused.

3. Lady Glamis says:

I’m one book at a time, and unfortunately, my current book is really ticking me off. I can’t just go work on a new one. Well, maybe I can. But then this one will really be shoved back, and also my first one – and both need editing and rewriting and polishing before I can feel even remotely ready to move on to a new work. Sometimes I wonder what’s wrong with my head. Where’s all the shiny ideas???

4. Kiersten says:

Oooh! Shiny new idea!! How exciting…

But yes. EDITING. I second Natalie’s idea.

5. writermomof5 says:

Hi!

I found your blog through Jenni’s

I’ve always been a one book at a time author. But lately there is a shiny new idea vying for my attention and I’m not done with the final edits of the last shiny thing. : )

I’m compromising. When an idea comes for the new shiny thing, I jot it down, file it and leave it with the promise that I will get back to it.

It takes some of the pressure off–I’m not one of those writers inundated with ideas–and helps me to focus, most of the time, on my current novel.

6. Megan-That’s a really interesting idea, because there really are days when my WiP drives me crazy. But I still want to write.

Natalie-I like the goals/rewards idea as well. I’m a big checklist person, so maybe I can whip one up for now. Truth is, my new idea–while pushy–really isn’t ready.

Michelle-See, I thought I was a one book at a time girl. Until this idea.

Also, believe me, I’m no shiny idea factory. For me, legitimate book ideas come few and far between.

Kiersten-*sigh* Alright. 😉

7. Oops, writermom, I cross posted with you.

Well, I think we are similar in our methods. I’m a big notebook gal. I write down everything I can. And believe me, I’ve filled many pages on this new idea. :)

Thanks for the tip!

8. Oh, that happened to me this week. A lovely exotic idea for a novel came right in the middle of writing another book.

I put it in the back of my mind to simmer until I finish what I’m working on. I usually find the idea comes out better if I give it a month or so to cook.

But if I were revising, instead of writing a first draft… it would be hard to leave it. They’re so shiny!

9. Kasie West says:

I say write what you’re feeling. You have to take advantage of it because the “feeling” can leave as fast as it comes. But, that being said, I third what Nat said. Reward yourself after you edit. I always do that.

10. Tanisha says:

i don’t have any advice for you, seeing how i’m not a writer yet BUT i just wanted to say that i was reading your profile and was amazed(?)excited(?)…impressed(?) (and this is why i can’t be a writer yet, what with the lack of a useful vocabulary)..anyway, i saw that you like film scores and wanted to say that john williams is by far my favorite composer ever.

11. It must be a strong book if it’s attacking you like that!! How exciting. I have no advice on this whatsoever. I just work on whatever I feel like at that time.

12. jessie says:

I get shiny-new-ideaitis all the time, and have numerous parts of different books. And no whole book. It’s a hard infection to fight. And the only cure is to let it run its course I think. That is, you should not ignore it. Otherwise, it will spread to other parts of your life.