Short but Satisfying

Today, I finished my first short story (well . . . novelette, but let’s not get too technical) since High School. Can you believe it? And I’m wondering, what have I been doing all this time???

Short Fiction is awesome! I had no idea. It’s instant gratification, people! I feel just as attached to these characters, just as involved in my world, and just as satisfied to finish as I ever have with a novel. And it took me basically FIVE DAYS*.

Let me repeat: five days!

Not only that, but I feel all of the giddy “OMG, this is the best story ever” feelings with a completed draft on my hands. I can’t wait to polish this baby till it shines. And then, submit! I’m very excited.

So to all you out there who are feeling the stagnation/frustration that can burden one writing a novel, I say, write a short story!!

*Disclaimer: I feel it perhaps important to mention that I have had this idea for an entire year. Every once in a while I would scribble down a few thoughts about it in my Moleskine, and I actually started it two separate times, though I never got more than a few pages. So yes, it’s not exactly as swift as five days, but you get my point. 🙂

1. Kiersten on June 24, 2009 at 5:17 am

And hey, so far it is AWESOME.

I agree with you though–short stories are such a fun break. Plus, MUCH easier to edit.

2. MeganRebekah on June 24, 2009 at 12:34 pm

That seems like a great writer’s boost. Good luck with the polishing and submission!

3. Joanne on June 24, 2009 at 1:07 pm

It’s good to change things up every now and then, keep the creative juices challenged. Congrats to you!

4. Natalie on June 24, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Congrats, Ren! Can’t wait to read it:)

5. Renee Collins on June 24, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Kiersten-Thanks! And yes, I am looking forward to editing this one. Should be nice and fast. 🙂

Megan-It is a good boost! And I needed a boost.

Joanne-I totally agree. With this story I tried something new, something I might have been hesitant to try in a whole novel. It was a real learning experience.

Natalie-Hope you like it. 🙂

6. Terri Tiffany on June 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I love short stories!! I prefer writing them than these loooooong books! good for you!

7. Miriam S.Forster on June 25, 2009 at 1:50 am

Hooray! Breaking up the long novel writing/revising process with some short pieces is so refreshing, isn’t it? I like writing short nonfiction as a total departure from my usual YA books.

Congratulations!

8. Lady Glamis on June 25, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I need to write more short fiction, yep!!! But I’m too busy working on a novel, dang it all! Congrats! Do I get to read this? After I read your book, of course. 😉

9. Jessie Oliveros on June 25, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Your disclaimer shows what a painfully honest person you are. Now, I would have thought you were really cool to have written it in only five days, but now I think you are only kind of cool.*

Disclaimer: Comment has sarcastic undertones.

10. Renee Collins on June 25, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Terri-I really am pleased to discover how much I liked writing short stories. I’m already planning the next! 🙂

Miriam-I agree! It’s such a nice change from eight months slaving on a novel.

Michelle-You definitely can read it if you like!

Jessie-LOL! I love your sarcastic undertones. 😀