The Secret One: Revealed!

So last night I finished a major edit round/rewrite on my WiP. You remember. The one I finished in mid-April. “The Secret One.” The one I promised to tell you more about.

Yeah . . . I guess I forgot about that part. What can I say, I was busy.

Well, now that it’s all fresh and shiny, and 14k longer, not to mention sitting in my beta’s inboxes, I suppose I can share a little more.

You may be wondering what’s with the secrecy anyway. Well, it wasn’t an elaborate plot to build suspense and blog readership. (If that had been the reason, I’d call it a massive fail.) It wasn’t because I was afraid someone would steal my idea. No, the real reason I didn’t share more about this story is because I’m kinda shy about it.

Here’s why: it’s a mermaid story.

Yep. Mermaids.

Don’t get me wrong. I think, and have always thought, that mermaids are officially The Bomb. What’s not to like?! Trouble is, I say mermaids and most people think . . .

Truth is, awesome as they are, there is something inherently Middle Grade about mermaids (to put it in book world terms.) So I get a little sheepish telling people that I’m writing a mermaid book, because I assume they’re suddenly envisioning talking fish and cute purple clamshell bras.

Not my mermaids.

This mermaid story is dark and pensive, with a semi-tragic romance. People die and stuff. I wouldn’t call this book fun. Exciting (hopefully,) but not “fun.” And definitely not cute. Think more along these lines . . .

So there. I finally talked about it. *exhales* I feel much better. And now I’ll go back to biting my nails in the corner while I wait to hear back from my betas. πŸ˜‰

1. Natalie Whipple on July 1, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I’m a fan of mermaids! And real mermaids are freaky, so I don’t auto-think Ariel.

And OF COURSE someone dies in itβ€”you love killing people. *Grumble grumble*

hehe

2. Angela A on July 1, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I love mermaids! I was so sad when I moved up from middle grade to young adult reading and realized there weren’t NEARLY as many mermaids. What gives?

3. Tere Kirkland on July 2, 2010 at 12:05 am

There has yet to be a mermaid story as dark and lovely as Hans Christian Anderson’s Little Mermaid. Kudos to you for accepting the challenge.

I had Finmen in a novel once, but they did not look anyhting like Ariel. No hair or seashell bra. πŸ˜‰

Good luck!

4. Aubrie on July 2, 2010 at 12:46 am

It sounds wonderful! Right up my alley. πŸ™‚

5. Jessie Oliveros on July 2, 2010 at 1:01 am

I saw the Little Mermaid in Denmark last year. Be jealous.

6. Abby on July 2, 2010 at 2:30 am

I love the last picture! Mermaids are cool. πŸ™‚

7. Michelle Davidson Argyle on July 2, 2010 at 3:06 am

Well I certainly hope I get to read it sometime! I was super shy about telling people I was writing a story with Cinderella in it. How juvenile is THAT? I mean, I made a whole separate blog and secret identity for 4 months before I came out and told anybody I was actually writing it…talk about embarrassing. And yes, both the Cinderella and the making of a secret blog.

8. Miriam S. Forster on July 2, 2010 at 3:14 am

Ooo! I like that idea!

I’ve heard there are some great mermaid books coming out in YA, so I don’t think you should be ashamed at all! You’re on the cutting edge, that’s what you are. πŸ™‚

9. sraasch on July 2, 2010 at 3:44 am

MERMAIDS.

I LOVE that that is one mythological creature that HASN’T been done to death yet. I have mermaids in STREAM PIRATE, and I am *praying so hard* that no one *coughStephenieMeyercough* damages their good image.

I have no doubt your mermaids will ROCK SO HARD.

10. Jade on July 2, 2010 at 7:33 am

A dark mermaid story sounds awesome and I hear they a hawt right now.

11. Renee Collins on July 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Natalie-:) Don’t worry! It’s not as tragic as I could have made it. πŸ™‚

Angela-I agree! We need more mermaids. *bats eyes at editors* LOTS more.

Tere-Oh man, I don’t think I even come close to Anderson’s Mermaid. But yes, I think I’m more in that category than Ariel. πŸ™‚

Aubrie-Thanks!

Jessie-AM! One day, when I’m famous (har har) I’m going to have to make a pilgrimage to that statue.

Abby-Great picture, isn’t it? It’s by Howard Pyle, who was a famous illustrator.

Michelle-haha, I should have had a secret blog. Instead I just didn’t blog, heh. But for the record, I think Cinderella stories are timeless. πŸ™‚

Miriam-I’m crossing my fingers that I’m “cutting edge” and not simply coming in a tad too late on a limited genre. Only time will tell, I guess.

Sara-Dude, I heard Meyers was working on a mermaid story! It kind of ruined my world when I heard it, but that was from an interview several years ago and I haven’t heard anything since. *crosses fingers as well*

Also, I remember that you have mermaids in Steam Pirate! And cool alligator people. Love it. πŸ™‚

Jade-I hope so! We’ll see if I pulled it off. πŸ™‚

12. Liam on July 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm

That’s pretty frigging awesome.

13. Renee Collins on July 2, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Thanks, Liam. πŸ™‚

14. JaneyV on July 6, 2010 at 6:34 am

Wow! I love the idea of Mermaids and that last picture is very cool. It sounds like a great idea!

15. Anonymous on July 6, 2010 at 6:38 am

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

16. Tara McClendon on July 12, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Best of luck with this story. From an industry standpoint, I think agents will appreciate that it isn’t vampire related.

17. Kasie West on July 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Yes, dark mermaids are awesome. And so is tragic romance. I love it. No need for nail biting. πŸ™‚

18. Hayley on July 22, 2010 at 3:09 am

I lover mermaids! And good luck with the betas, also I have an award for you over at my blog!

19. Dayana Stockdale on August 17, 2010 at 5:13 am

Cool! is one of the romance pair a human and the other a mermaid?

20. Renee Collins on August 20, 2010 at 7:48 pm