Sexy it up

Last night I watched the new PBS show Sherlock. *fans self, while trying to breath.* So. Much. Awesomeness. Having. Trouble. Expressing.

Basically, it’s the classic characters of Sherlock and Watson, modernized, and set in contemporary London. Was it awesome to see Sherlock texting Watson to hurry up and get to Baker Street? Uh-YEAH. It was.

I’ve noticed this trend a lot lately, and I have to say, I’m a big fan. Basically, you take a classic or well known story and modernize it. Make the main characters younger. SEXY it up a little! (Yeah, baby.) Some other examples:

The new Star Trek. (*chants* Team Spock! Team Spock!)

Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet

I’m sure there’s a specific word for these kind of stories. If anyone knows, give a shout. At any rate, it’s actually a dream of mine to write one. It’d be so fun! How about you? Any ideas of a modern twist classic? Share in the comments section! I’ll give kudos to the best idea. 🙂

Here are some prompts:

A sexy, younger _____________________ (classic character)

Modern day version of ___________________________ (classic story location)

________________ (character), only hotter.

1. Colene Murphy on October 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Mmmm…I can’t help with the answer but those guys sure are delicious. Needed that on this gloomy Monday morning!

2. Candice on October 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm

How did I miss this show!!?? Must see!

I would like to see younger royalty.How about a younger King Henry the fifth giving the awesome St. Crispin’s Day speech!

Or younger historical heroes like a sexy, charismatic Scarlett Pimpernel.

I loved the most recent version of Charles Dickens Nicholas Nickleby. Why not more of his works with young protangonist and antagonist (because we all love a sexy villain right!).

Okay, I have too many ideas on this subject. I could go on forever.

3. Patti on October 25, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I heard that show got great reviews. Need to mark it in my calendar for next week.

I’m looking forward the Red Dawn remake.

As for classics – how about a more sexy Hamlet.

4. Renee Collins on October 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Colene-haha, I agree! Maybe that’s he real, shallow reason I like those kind of movies: the hot guys!

Candice-Watch it! It was so fun. As for your ideas, I’m loving it! As a long time Shakespeare fan, I would *LOVE* to write a modernized version of one of his plays. I’ve always held back, because I’d be afraid to do it justice.

Patti-Yes, definitely check it out. 🙂 And I googled Red Dawn. Looks pretty cool!

5. Abby Minard on October 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm

How did I not know about Sherlock? That show looks so awesome!

AND the new Star Trek is one of my favorite movies now- I LOVE it (and not only because of the yummy eye candy)

6. Kasie West on October 26, 2010 at 6:23 am

I’m jealous that everyone seemed to know about this Sherlock show but me (and all the other people that left comments but we’ll disregard them to make my point). Whyeeee am I always left out? 🙂 I guess I’ll have to hulu it. As for younger, sexier characters, I have no specific ideas, but believe strongly in the idea as a whole. 🙂

Now, about your cryptic tweet. I need an email. Like now. 🙂

7. Renee Collins on October 26, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Abby-The new Star Trek was one of my favs too! So much fun. I can’t wait for the sequel. (There is going to be a sequel, right? *hopes*)

Kasie-you make me laugh! Don’t feel left out. Sherlock is going to be a series. Or at least a mini series. So you haven’t missed out altogether.:)

Also, an email has been sent. (Just don’t be disappointed. It’s not THAT awesome. 🙂 )