Another first!

Well, I’ve written my first guest post. This feels like a rite of passage or something.

My amazing friend Michelle Davidson Argyle asked me to write a little more about the mental/emotional aspects of my writing journey. So I did. Happily. I discuss my new philosophy: Optimistic Realism. (Hey, something had to come out of all those philosophical journeys.)

But the truth is, Michelle’s a very cool, very talented, very published author, so you should check her out anyway. 🙂

1. Melissa Gill on December 16, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Great interview on Michelle’s site. I liked what you said about not letting pessimism sneak in disguised as realism. I can really relate to that.

2. Renee Collins on December 16, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Melissa-Thanks! And yes, pessimism is tricky like that. 🙂

3. Kathryn on December 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Very cool! Great post. Found myself nodding as I read. 🙂

4. Shari on December 16, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Such an insightful post. This is an incredibly tough business, I think we all know that … so yes, realism is of the utmost importance. When it comes down to it, though, no amount of acceptance and preparation can completely diffuse the sting or hurt that rejection brings about. These are our babies, it SHOULD hurt when the response isn’t what we want. That just shows how much we care. At the same time, though, optimism is every bit as important as being realistic. If we don’t believe in our work, why should we expect others to?

I love the part about taking time to accept the pain and live it before moving on. Even if it’s just a short while, we owe it to ourselves to feel that emotion before pushing ahead with renewed determination and hope.

Thank you for sharing your insights. They’re a perfect reminder 🙂

5. Renee Collins on December 16, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Kathryn-Thank you! 🙂

Shari-Well said! You put it better than I did. 🙂 It’s so true that while this is a business, and should be treated as such, we also pour our hearts and souls into our books, so it will never be unemotional.

6. Michelle Davidson Argyle on December 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for coming over, Renee! I didn’t realize you hadn’t guest posted before. I feel honored to have you!

7. Renee Collins on December 17, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Michelle-It was! And I felt honored to do it. 🙂

8. storyqueen on December 18, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Optimistic realism is highly under rated!

Shelley

9. Miriam S. Forster on December 20, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Go you and all your firsts! 🙂

10. Renee Collins on January 9, 2011 at 6:15 pm