Settings….

Hello all! Diana here. As you may know I am just in the very very early stages of writing a novel, (well, if you don’t count Rosaline *clears throat uncomfortably*)

It has all been very fun, but you know, to me, one of the most exciting parts about beginning a new story is thinking of the setting. I have to have an image in my mind of where this story will take place, or at least begin, before I write a word. There is something almost magical about describing a new place in my writing.

Is it that way with you? What are some of your favorite settings that you have either written or read about?

1. Shari on January 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Such pretty pictures! I agree with you. There’s something almost magical about picturing – and then getting to describe – a new setting. Whether it’s one you’ve created or an actual place that you get to paint through your eyes, it’s just inspiring 🙂

2. Jessie Oliveros on January 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Those are amazing pictures! Where do you find them? I usually search google images for inspiration, but they aren’t as cool as yours. Which probably means your book will be much cooler than mine too.

3. Bombshell Char on January 24, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I pretty much think traveling the world is the ONLY way I can become sufficiently familiar with my settings to write. At least I tell my husband that.

But traveling does inspire me to write and the right setting is just pleading for a story to go in it.

4. Renee Collins on January 24, 2011 at 7:56 pm

SOMEONE WRITE A BOOK SET IN THE UNDERWATER ONE. LIKE, NOW.

I WON’T STOP WRITING IN CAPS UNTIL YOU DO.

KTHNXBYE

5. Renee Collins on January 24, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Seriously, though I love these pics!

P.S. haha @ Charlotte. A brilliant idea! “We have to go to China, Hubby! It’s important for my writing!”

6. Leigh on January 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Ooooh, I really love the library with the trees in it. I want that in my house, I could write there. I love to write outside, what better than a library with a tree in it.

7. R.S.J. on January 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm

That’s why we read and write – to escape! I love getting lost in the settings/worlds I’ve created 🙂

8. Diana on January 24, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Shari- I like thinking about it as painting like you said. Nice imagery!

Jessie- I love google search, but unfortunately Google search skills do not equal writing skills 🙁

Charlotte- It is true that when you have been to a place it is much easier to write effectively about it.

Ren- I knew you would like that one 🙂

Leigh- Isn’t that one cool? It just feels like there is a story behind it!

R.S.J- So true 🙂

9. Miriam S. Forster on January 25, 2011 at 8:06 am

Setting’s a pretty major piece for me. On the last first draft I wrote, the story was originally set in a town. Nothing special there, and it wasn’t really clicking.

Then I decided to set it on a cruise ship, and POW! Instant awesome. 🙂