Timing

The very first thing I did when we found out I was pregnant with our second child was to call Renee, then my parents, then all my friends. I couldn’t help it. I know some people wait for months to tell others, and we did wait with our first, but this time I was just too darn excited.

I am the same way with my writing. The minute I get a new idea, I feel the urge to tell someone. And as soon as I begin writing the first magical pages, I am dying to have someone read them. Lately, however, I have been feeling that, at least with writing, that may not be the best move.

With my last two stories, I started out with so much excitement and was writing up a storm, only to have the momentum mysteriously die soon after someone had read the first pages. So I am beginning to wonder, am I letting my fledgling idea out into the world too soon?

What do you think?

1. lora96 on February 8, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Uh, I found out I was pregnant on Saturday. You may actually be the last to know because I have told every other living creature already! (after my edifying speech about being responsible and discreet and waiting till the second trimester)

2. Renee Collins on February 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Oh wow, congrats, Lora!!! That’s so exciting. πŸ™‚

3. R.S.J. on February 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I tend to keep stories close because I’m too afraid someone will tell me it’s not as good as I think it is. I’m working on my insecurity issues. But also, I switch to other stories because new ideas are just so hard to shut up. Starting is way more fun than enduring the middle:)

4. Candice on February 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

It could be. The wrong reaction, or the pressure of the right reaction can both impede my writing. Every writer is different,but I find that I like feedback in the beginning from alpha readers who will encourage me, then about fifty pages in or so, I cut them off (as Renee with attest). I don’t know why, but I just have to finish my books without the pressure of anyone reading them. But that’s just me.

5. Diana on February 8, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Lora- YAY! Congrats:)Some news is just too good to keep secret:)

R.S.J- That is a good point, maybe its just that new ideas are more fun to write.

Candice- Good idea. I like the idea of sharing, but then having some time to work on it without feedback.

6. Bombshell Char on February 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I try to get people to read my new stuff. I even post bits on my blog occasionally if I’m really excited about them. I feed off of positive reinforcement. If I get good feedback it keeps me more motivated to keep going.

7. Charlotte Sannazzaro on February 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

It could just be coincidence. I find that when new ideas hit me, I am full of that ‘must write it down’ fire for only a while. Then I either go back to something else, or more ideas for that story come later. It’s strange how I can be so enthusiastic about a new idea one minute, and then just forget about it a week later. Generally if you tell your mind to keep working on it, you’ll find more inspiration if it’s meant to be.

8. writergal24 on February 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Lora: congrats!
    I always feel that way when I start writing a novel, like I want to go tell the whole world, but I usually don’t tell anyone because I feel like if I do, I’ll start to realize the flaws in the plot before I even start writing it.

9. Shari on February 8, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I almost always share whatever story I’m working on with my best friend, usually on a chapter by chapter basis. Having her feedback throughout the process is a really wonderful and very helpful barometer for me. I think it’s easy to get swept up in a bubble as we work, so sometimes getting another perspective adds a new dynamic to it all. That said, I don’t share my writing on a wider basis until I’m at least halfway through (and often, not until I’m finished). I’m too big a perfectionist to put anything out there before I’ve gone through all the edits and revisions. I see it as having the best of both worlds – I have someone going along on the journey with me, reading as I write, but then I get to keep the ideas close to my heart and head, too πŸ™‚

10. Miriam S. Forster on February 9, 2011 at 12:20 am

Hmm… usually if that happens to me it means I didn’t do enough dreaming about the story before I wrote it.

That being said, I don’t like showing people what I wrote before the first draft is down. I might read a passage to someone and ask if it makes sense, but anything more kills my momentum. I think that’s because getting feedback turns on the inner editor in me. πŸ™‚

11. Ang on February 9, 2011 at 2:08 am

Congratulations! And I thought I’d share the fact that I’m an identical twin. My sister loves to draw and I write. One project we thought about creating together is a children’s book.

Okay…my pregnancy story. The day I found out I was pregnant with my first child (who is now 21 yo), I actually took the pregnancy stick to WalMart (where my mother worked) and showed it to her.

As for my writing…it may take me over a year before I feel ready to release it to the the world.

12. Diana on February 9, 2011 at 2:14 am

Charlotte- maybe that’s it. I definitely do love positive reinforcement. Don’t believe me? ask my poor hubby πŸ˜‰

Charlotte S.- True. Maybe it’s like working out; the motivation can be fleeting at best. The rest is just good old fashion hard work.

Writer gal- I just show Renee and my husband because they always lavish me with praise πŸ˜‰

Shari- Very true. I guess my next move is to actually get half way through my book!

Miriam-very good point. Showing my work makes me aware of all the flaws and it does lose some magic.

13. Diana on February 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Angela- You are a twin! Cool πŸ™‚ Renee and I have talked for years about collaborating on some project. I think it would be so fun!

I love the story about taking your stick to Walmart! haha:) I think we kept our first one waaaaay to long:)

14. thefallenhero on February 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I completely agree with you…

15. Sophia the Writer on February 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I absolutely do not talk about my writing until it’s, um, published basically. (so never, so far? :P)

Betas and CPs can read it when it’s ready, meaning revised 80 times by myself first.

The only time I ever talked about a novel was when it was a semifinalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest and I had to drum up the popularity votes (gosh I hate those types of contests!)

I need that feeling of a secret bursting forth in order to carry the work through to completion.